Computer-related blogs abound and some of them are really good, offering great insight and practicable “how-to’s” for both novices and experts. Here we bring for you a list of 9 blogs that have attracted a faithful following and gained authority status because of the high standard content they produce. Bookmarking these blogs or following them will not only answer all your computer-related questions but also inform, educate, and entertain you. The selection of blogs has been made keeping in mind the interests and queries of home PC users, small business owners, certified geeks, IT professionals…in short anyone that puts fingers to a computer keyboard.
1. Online Tech Tips – The blogger, Aseem Kishore, provides almost daily tutorials and personal computing tips. The “how-to’s” on this blog are novel, interesting, useful, and fun to practice. For instance, learning how to make your own handwriting a font on a Windows Tablet PC or finding out how to detect computer and email monitoring spyware on your PC.
2. How-to Geek – An exhaustive portal neatly categorizing posts into categories including Windows 7, Microsoft Office, and Linux. The blog has more than 100,000 subscribers and you can see why when you browse through their huge database of awesome computer-related information.
3. Lifehacker – Probably the most established portal out there covering tips and downloads on everything computing related. From simple how-to’s such as one on securing your passwords to ultra-tech jargon that stimulates geek fantasies, the site is the place to be if your ambition is to be at the bleeding edge of computing technology.
4. Code Brothers – These guys cover a neat niche in the domain of computer tricks and how-to’s. The blog covers coding-related stuff that includes handy guides for non-geeks as well as heavy-duty programming how-to’s. For instance – “How to Uninstall Any Program From Your Computer” is a relevant article that lay computer users can read and learn from.
5. Free Fixit – A simple no-frills blog that covers some really cool how-to’s that can come in handy when you’re looking for answers on how to create a keyboard shortcut for a program in Vista or how to use your RAM as a graphic card. Regularly updated with step-by-step instructions and helpful screenshots.
6. Top Bits – An exhaustive and authority site to help non-techies with their queries. Probably, the blog with the most exhaustive and well-thought of categories to cover all things IT. When you have questions on cryptology, passwords, web publishing, Vulnerabilities, Macintosh, and Unix sharing space you know that bookmarking this blog will be a good idea.
7. Linux Poison – As the name suggests, this one is for Linux lovers, the true soldiers of the open source brigade. Linux Poison has been doing yeoman service in making the Linux tribe grow. The blog has been around for a three years and is one of the best resources for how-to’s on Linux apart from the Linux website.
8. PC Training 24 – A thorough computer training guide for the DIY computer enthusiast as well as the computer technician. Interesting how to’s here including such as this – “How to bypass a PDF password”
9. Home Network Help – A nice blog with articles focusing largely on home networking and wireless networking. A very good reference source for those running a home-based business and SMBs with a few PCs on a network.
We’d like to conclude by mentioning that computing technology is forever forging forward, the internet gives us a great opportunity to stay abreast of the latest. Do let us know what you feel about this list.